Coming home after a tiring, humid day and experiencing a stinky smell coming out of your air conditioner can really spoil your evening. These smells can make a person really uncomfortable and that is absolutely the last thing you will ever want. If you’re a homeowner, then you might have experienced this issue. The main problem is that unlike any other air conditioner problems, one can’t identify where this smell is coming from. And shouldn’t even try to fix it on your own if you’re not an expert In air conditioning services Melbourne.
In order to deal with such issues you need to learn about them first. Therefore we have mentioned almost every type of smell that you might experience and also the reason behind each one of them. So, have a look below to know them all:-
- Air conditioner may smell like your car exhaust! A car exhaust smell occurs when a system is running on an internal combustion engine. But your air conditioner does not run on that. Hence, there’s no chance of your system smelling like a car exhaust. Now you might be wondering why it smells like one? Well, your air conditioning system produces some fluids that start smelling like a car exhaust when your system is heated.
This type of smell can be a strong indication that your air conditioner is having a refrigerant leak issue. A refrigerant is basically a coolant substance present inside your unit and these leaks can impact your air conditioner performance. Not only this, it can release chemicals in the air that can be hazardous to your health as well as to the environment. Therefore if you notice these types of issues with your system, you should immediately contact a professional to get it fixed as soon as possible. In the meantime you can open your doors and windows to let the smell out. This will also protect you from any serious damage to your health.
- Air conditioner smells like something is burning! An air conditioner contains many electrical components like circuit boards, power wires, fans etc. So, if you notice a burning smell coming out of your system it probably means one or more or these components are burning. In such cases you should immediately turn off your air conditioning system. This will prevent it from heating more and causing fire. Never ignore such issues and contact the professionals as soon as possible. Most importantly, never try a DIY on these types of air conditioner problems. It can be extremely dangerous.
Another reason for such issues can be the dust that might settle in your system because of a long time of inactivity. Therefore when you turn on the system this dust can burn off and result in a bad smell. This one is temporary and will not cause any harm to your system. But if this smell lasts then you should definitely contact the experts in air conditioning service Melbourne.
- Air conditioner smells like a rotten egg! A rotten or foul smell is usually because of the critters that might get stuck in your air conditioner. Birds build their nests inside the ductwork and get trapped in the system. These dead animals start emitting foul smells that can be really irritating.
Hence it is necessary to pest proof your entire system at the time of installation. This can prevent such issues. You can also call a technician to remove the dead animal or insects. If you’re not an expert, avoid doing it on your own. Otherwise you’ll end up damaging the entire system.
- Your air conditioner smells like a gas leak! This smell can be the most dangerous one because it can indicate leaking gas in your system. This smell is added to the natural gas so that you can find out about a gas leak on time. Hence, never ignore such a smell coming out of your system.
- A moldy or musty smell coming out of your system! These smells are one of the most common smells that you might have experienced at least once. If there’s a musty odor coming out of your air conditioning system then it might be due to the accumulation of water in the drain pan. This can also result in the growth of fungus. Leakages are harmful but they can be detected easily. Hence if you notice one, it’s better to take action ASAP. This will save you from heavy servicing bills.
Hence, these were some common smells that you may experience. As you are aware now you should immediately contact a professional in air conditioner service Melbourne. This can prevent any serious harm to your system.